Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, January 11, 2008

Flip Flops in January

For those of you who are in Texas or anywhere south for that matter, flip flops in January does not seem that crazy of a notion. But for upstate NY it is really not believable. I should have taken a picture to memorialize the occasion, but I was too busy enjoying sunshine and warmth in January. On Tuesday, the temperature in our area reached 69 degrees!! I was amazed and had to break out the flip flops and toe nail polish. We took a trip for a campus minister's meeting down to Jersey in the NYC area. It got a little cooler on Wednesday due to wind and rain, but I still needed no heavy coat. I just thought I would rejoice in that moment, because next week we will get regular snowy weather. I hope you all are enjoying your January...and Texans...appreciate the flip flop wearing days in January that you get!

Also, funny story...while we were in NYC we went to this pizza place that is actually in A.W. Tozier's old church. It was a really cool place full of people with lots of atmosphere. So we order our pizza's and begin to chow down on our garlic bread when the fire alarm goes off. It's so interesting the way people react to a fire alarm. Some people ignored it, including the wait staff, and others were looking around and trying to figure out what is going on. I was looking for any clue from the restaurant as to what we were supposed to do. Finally, a manager or hostess said there really was a fire and we needed to get out. So we flooded out to the street many people with pizza in hand, while the people at the bar and in the waiting area seemed not to be disturbed by the mass exodus. There is not much place to go on a NYC sidewalk once you are outside and within a few minutes the fire trucks came...so we figured there would be an indefinite delay on our pizza order. So that was our visit to the little pizza place/old historic church! We ended up getting pizza at a little place in Little Italy.

3 comments:

Lori, Landon and Logan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori, Landon and Logan said...

I just tried to find your email with no luck to tell you that we are moving to CT in June! Dave is going to get his phd. I am going to blog more about how I got such a great deal on the groceries, I actually almost fell over when the girl stated the total. I got half of the stuff at CVS and the other half and Tom Thumb which is a chain of Safeway.

Anonymous said...

Heather! I responded to your comment on my blog page but after doing so I was afraid you may not see it. So, here I'am and what a quaint blog you have my friend! It's so wonderful to hear from you! Thank you for your words of encouragement! It's an odd transition I'm finding myself in: no set career, facing bills and adult responsibilities, changing friendships...etc. But I'm learning to love this season even though it seems uncomfortable and even awkward at times. And more importantly, I'm learning to lean on the Lord. The shaping of my character is in the making and I'am completely surrendered to his working hands. I was just thinking of you the other day! I'm the same age as you were when we first met at Syracuse. It's crazy how much time has gone by! Are you in Oswego still?