Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Taking Communication for Granted

I knew during this deployment that communication would be important, but I did not understand what a lifeline it would be. Since Austin departed I rarely am without my phone right beside me or in hand. I have a blackberry that lights up when I have an email or facebook update. As soon as I see that light, I'm on that phone checking to see if I have a message for my hubby. Until Austin is actually at his place of residence for the year, we have no routine for communication. First, I just got to hear where he was through his chaplain assistant's wife (they have a satellite phone). Since then I have had two calls, one that lasted 6 minutes and another that lasted 20 minutes, but was staticky and hard to hear. I have gotten a few emails at random. I read each one at least 20 times cherishing the words from my love and trying to imagine where he is at and what he is doing!! Tonight was frustration, as I got a call from the chap. asst. wife saying that Austin had tried to call me!! WHAT!?!? So I tried to call him to the satellite phone and all I got was a message telling me the number was disconnected!! I called her back and she texted her husband. Finally, I got a call and it was Austin!! We talked for maybe a minute (expensive and he was on the move again), but I just soaked in hearing his voice and hearing him say I love you. Thank the Lord for technology...I would not survived being an army wife in WWII!!

It just makes me so completely appreciative of every little bit of communication I get. I try not to get frustrated and bitter as I might have more communication than some are able to have. I just try to relish in each time we have some sort of contact and let that take me to the next time! All I know is I will never ever look at a phone call, email, text, or any connection from my hubby the same way again!

1 comments:

Linsey said...

You are doing great. I know this has to have it moments of suckiness, but hang in there!